Common Connection Errors / Solutions
"Modem does not exist, is not plugged in or is out of service."
If the modem is external, ensure that the power switch is on. Restart Windows and continue with the following steps.
A. Check modem diagnostics
- Click on the Windows Start button.
- Point to Settings and select Control Panel.
- Double-click the Modems icon.
- Select the Diagnostics tab.
- Click on the More Info button and wait for a response.
- If Diagnostics returns data from the modem, then there is not necessarily a hardware problem.
Note: If it returns no data, the machine should be looked at by a qualified computer hardware technician.
- Click on the Close button to exit.
B. Verify server types
- On your desktop, double-click on My Computer.
- Double-click on the Dial-Up Networking icon.
- Click on the Juno icon.
- From the File menu, select Properties.
- From the Connect using list, select your modem.
- Select the Server Types tab.
- Uncheck Log on to network.
- Check Enable software compression.
- Uncheck Require encrypted password.
- Uncheck NetBEUI.
- Uncheck IPX/SPX Compatible.
- Check TCP/IP.
- Click OK to exit.
This should resolve the issue. Try connecting to Juno again.