How do I run Disk Optimization?
Note: For Norton 2012 product information, please click here
Optimizing your PC's permanent disks can improve performance and reliability. Norton 360 automatically checks your permanent disks for fragmentation and optimizes them if they are more than 10 percent fragmented. You can always check the latest reports to see if optimization is necessary.
Before running a Disk Optimization, Norton 360™ Online recommends you exit all programs.
- You can run Disk optimization only when disk has more than 15 percent of free space.
- Some programs, such as movie-editing programs or programs that require large amounts of disk space, can work more efficiently if your disks are optimized. If you prefer not to wait until Norton 360 performs automatic optimization, you can optimize your disks manually.
- During the disk optimization process, solid-state drives (SSD) are defragmented only in Windows 8.
To run Disk Optimization:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select Task Manager.
- Click the Applications tab, select the first program on the list, and then click End Task.
- Repeat this step for all programs on the list, except for Norton 360™ Online and Internet Explorer.
- In the Norton 360 main window, click Tuneup, and then click Run Disk Optimization.
- When the activity is complete, in the Tuneup window, click Close.